port install zim fails, possibly on a perl error.

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Jan 1 16:43:07 PST 2011

On Dec 30, 2010, at 10:31, Derek Schutt wrote:

> I’m trying to install zim, but am running into problems which I detail below.   I have just installed mac ports, and have the latest version of Xcode.   I am running Snow Leopard, and for what it’s worth, I’m new to Macs and mac port, coming from the linux world.

Welcome!

> Here’s what happens when I try to install zim.
>
> $ sudo port install zim
> --->  Computing dependencies for zim
> --->  Dependencies to be installed: p5-file-basedir p5-file-desktopentry p5-file-mimeinfo p5-gtk2 p5-cairo p5-extutils-depends p5-extutils-pkgconfig p5-glib p5-pango p5-module-build p5-extutils-cbuilder p5-extutils-parsexs p5-yaml
> --->  Configuring p5-file-basedir
> Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure: shell command failed (see log for details)
> Error: Failed to install p5-file-basedir
> Log for p5-file-basedir is at: /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_perl_p5-file-basedir/main.log
> Error: The following dependencies were not installed: p5-file-basedir p5-file-desktopentry p5-file-mimeinfo p5-gtk2 p5-cairo p5-extutils-depends p5-extutils-pkgconfig p5-glib p5-pango p5-module-build p5-extutils-cbuilder p5-extutils-parsexs p5-yaml

We would need to see what is in the above-mentioned main.log file to know what went wrong here. I don't see any tickets filed for p5-file-basedir in the issue tracker.

> running sudo port clean zim and sudo port upgrade outdated doesn’t seem to help.   Also, sudo port upgrade outdated has this error.
>
> Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure: shell command failed (see log for details)
> Log for help2man is at: /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_textproc_help2man/main.log
> Error: Unable to upgrade port: 1
>

> When I look in the log for sudo port install zim, I see this:
>
> :info:configure checking for library containing bindtextdomain... -lintl
> :info:configure configure: error: perl module Locale::gettext required
> :info:configure shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_textproc_help2man/work/help2man-1.38.2" && ./configure --prefix=/opt/local --enable-nls " returned error 1

help2man is for some reason extremely problematic to install. See this latest ticket:

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/27457

If someone can provide a fix that will finally enable everybody to install help2man without this recurrent problem, I would be grateful. Or perhaps someone could open a dialog with the developer of that software and seek assistance.

> I’ve tried installing a couple of other things with mac ports, and they also fail to install.  So I’m guessing I’m missing something fundamental, perhaps the gettext perl library?  Can anyone help?

Need more information on those "other things" to be able to help with this. Again, provide the main.log files.