port install zim fails, possibly on a perl error.

Derek Schutt Derek.Schutt at Colostate.edu
Sun Jan 2 15:39:47 PST 2011

  Dear Ryan and Mail List,

On 1/1/2011 5:43 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Dec 30, 2010, at 10:31, Derek Schutt wrot
>
>> I’m trying to install zim, but am running into problems which I detail below.   I have just installed mac ports, and have the latest version of Xcode.   I am running Snow Leopard, and for what it’s worth, I’m new to Macs and mac port, coming from the linux world.
Thanks!
>> Here’s what happens when I try to install zim.
>>
>> $ sudo port install zim
>> --->   Computing dependencies for zim
>> --->   Dependencies to be installed: p5-file-basedir p5-file-desktopentry p5-file-mimeinfo p5-gtk2 p5-cairo p5-extutils-depends p5-extutils-pkgconfig p5-glib p5-pango p5-module-build p5-extutils-cbuilder p5-extutils-parsexs p5-yaml
>> --->   Configuring p5-file-basedir
>> Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure: shell command failed (see log for details)
>> Error: Failed to install p5-file-basedir
>> Log for p5-file-basedir is at: /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_perl_p5-file-basedir/main.log
>> Error: The following dependencies were not installed: p5-file-basedir p5-file-desktopentry p5-file-mimeinfo p5-gtk2 p5-cairo p5-extutils-depends p5-extutils-pkgconfig p5-glib p5-pango p5-module-build p5-extutils-cbuilder p5-extutils-parsexs p5-yaml
>> Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.
> We would need to see what is in the above-mentioned main.log file to know what went wrong here. I don't see any tickets filed for p5-file-basedir in the issue tracker.
Sorry, I wasn't clear.   The salient portion of the main.log file is below.
>> running sudo port clean zim and sudo port upgrade outdated doesn’t seem to help.   Also, sudo port upgrade outdated has this error.
>>
>> Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure: shell command failed (see log for details)
>> Log for help2man is at: /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_textproc_help2man/main.log
>> Error: Unable to upgrade port: 1
>>

>> When I look in the log for sudo port install zim, I see this:
>>
>> :info:configure checking for library containing bindtextdomain... -lintl
>> :info:configure configure: error: perl module Locale::gettext required
>> :info:configure shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_textproc_help2man/work/help2man-1.38.2"&&  ./configure --prefix=/opt/local --enable-nls " returned error 1
> help2man is for some reason extremely problematic to install. See this latest ticket:
>
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/27457
For what it's worth, one of the posters to the bug tracking page
reported that for help2man:

    The problem was that perl's Locale::gettext was not properly
    installed. Attempting to install it through ports or cpan also
    failed, complaining of a missing libintl, or being unable to find
    the gettext libs.

    I was able to install Locale::gettext by obtaining the source, and
    running

    CC='cc -I/opt/local/include -L/opt/local/lib ' perl Makefile.PL

    before 'make && make install'

    After Locale::gettext was installed, I was able to install help2man
    through ports.

For me finding and installing the source code for a perl library seems
more trouble than it is worth.    I'm starting to  think if I want
linux-y type things like GNU software, my best best may be just to
install a linux distro in a virtual machine.   I'm digressing off topic
here, but just the fact that I have to register as an Apple Developer
and give them all sorts of personal information to get Xcode makes me
think trying to use the *nix tools with which I am familiar is going to
be a pain.   I was hoping I could have the best of both worlds with my
Mac, but I'm starting to be pessimistic.    I hope someone will tell me
I'm wrong though!

Thanks, Derek