FORTRAN for Snow Leopard?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jan 7 06:13:26 PST 2011

On Jan 7, 2011, at 08:06, Jason Swails wrote:

> Just install an updated GCC with the +gfortran variant.
>
> sudo port -v install gcc45 +gfortran (this may take a little while)

You can see with "port variants gcc45" that it does not have a +gfortran variant; fortran support in gcc45 is always on.

Only the latest development version gcc port (currently gcc46) has a +gfortran (and a +java) variant. The maintainer of the gcc ports explained to me that gcc's java support (and perhaps its fortran support) frequently broke during the development versions, and he did not want to hold up the release of a new version of the port for that reason alone. By the time a version of gcc became stable, its java and fortran support would be stable as well, so the maintainer permanently enables it at that time.

If your gcc45 port does in fact still have +gfortran and +java variants, then your port definitions are out of date; use "sudo port selfupdate" to update them, then "port outdated" to see which ports are outdated and in need of updating.