FORTRAN for Snow Leopard?

Jason Swails jason.swails at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 06:35:26 PST 2011

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 9:13 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>wrote:

> On Jan 7, 2011, at 08:06, Jason Swails wrote:
>
> > Just install an updated GCC with the +gfortran variant.
> >
> > sudo port -v install gcc45 +gfortran (this may take a little while)
>
> You can see with "port variants gcc45" that it does not have a +gfortran
> variant; fortran support in gcc45 is always on.
>

> Only the latest development version gcc port (currently gcc46) has a
> +gfortran (and a +java) variant. The maintainer of the gcc ports explained
> to me that gcc's java support (and perhaps its fortran support) frequently
> broke during the development versions, and he did not want to hold up the
> release of a new version of the port for that reason alone. By the time a
> version of gcc became stable, its java and fortran support would be stable
> as well, so the maintainer permanently enables it at that time.

A quick perusal of the Portfiles verifies your statement, thanks for
clarifying.  However, I've installed gcc43, 44, 45, and 46 all with the
+gfortran variant (of which only gcc46 needs it) and it's always worked as
expected.  Perhaps port quietly ignores any specified, non-existent
variants?

> If your gcc45 port does in fact still have +gfortran and +java variants,
> then your port definitions are out of date; use "sudo port selfupdate" to
> update them, then "port outdated" to see which ports are outdated and in
> need of updating.

I keep my definitions updated (religiously), and have actually rid myself of
the need to use "sudo" by changing permissions of /Applications/MacPorts and
/opt, (I like to reserve the necessity of using root privileges for mucking
about in /usr, /bin, /include, etc.; not /usr/local or /opt or any other
place I choose to install compiled software)

All the best,
Jason

--
Jason M. Swails