Emacs not launching independent Xwindow (emacs shell)

Jason Swails jason.swails at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 15:36:59 PST 2011

You can also install "xemacs" and alias emacs to "xemacs".  There is no
"trick" to getting around the built-in emacs -- any emacs in /opt/local/bin
should be launched before the system emacs due to the way MacPorts sets up
the PATH variable.

Good luck!
Jason

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 6:22 PM, gmail <gregkeefer at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have installed macports and use many of the other applications without
> problems.  I have had a problem in getting any of the emacs versions to
> provide a x-window in the command  “emacs test &” which should launch GNU
> emacs into its own window as in a Linux environment.
>
> I have X11 working properly on my Mac as I get xclock and other X11
> dependent objects/programs to work fine so it isn’t the display variable or
> anything like this that I am aware of as I have tested many things.
>
> Is there a trick to get around the emacs that is already installed on the
> Macbook Pro and Air?  I have tried both of these laptops and they both have
> the same problem with emacs from macports even though it is supposed to be
> the GNU emacs which supports the emacs program shell.
>
> Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Jason M. Swails
Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida