iOS cross compiling support

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jan 28 15:36:30 PST 2011

On Jan 28, 2011, at 17:08, James Gregurich wrote:

> That would certainly work for MacOSX. What if the host isn't an apple OS? There is certainly support for freebsd in darwin ports. I would assume it is meant to be generic.

DarwinPorts changed its name to MacPorts years ago to emphasize that the focus is on the Mac and its Mac OS X operating system -- not Darwin, not other operating systems. I know MacPorts doesn't compile on Linux anymore. It might still work on BSD-like systems but I don't know if anybody tests that. Certainly many ports assume they are being installed on Mac OS X.

I had indeed hoped that the string "apple" would be available in one of the other ${os} properties, but I could not find it there.

I suppose you could use config.guess... If so, for some reason it seems to me that you should use one installed by a port, for example libtool provides one.

> for the record, the precise definition of my terms are....
>
> host = system with dev tools that builds the product
> target = system upon which the product executes.
>

> BTW. this discussion can be moved to the developer list if that is desired.

Ok, let's do that. Please remove macports-users from the Cc when you reply to this message.