Upgrading to Lion - having problems with migration instructions

Thomas Gederberg tgederberg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 23 16:10:59 PDT 2011

Hi,

I want to upgrade to Lion and am trying to follow the instructions from the MacPorts Migration page (https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration) but the instructions are not very clear (at least to me).

Under reinstall ports is says:

1. Save the list of installed ports:

     port -qv installed > myports.txt

2. Uninstall all installed ports:

    sudo port -f uninstall --follow-dependents installed

3. Clean any partially-completed builds and remove any archives:

    sudo port clean --work --archive all

First I assume the above steps should be done prior to installing Lion.

Second, when I tried doing
sudo port clean --work --archive all

I get the following error:
$ sudo port clean --work --archive all
Password:
Error: clean does not accept --archive

I then tried it without the --archive command:

$ sudo port clean --work
Can't map the URL 'file://.' to a port description file ("Could not find Portfile in /Users/tgederberg/Documents").
Please verify that the directory and portfile syntax are correct.
To use the current port, you must be in a port's directory.

Do I need to do this from a particular directory.  I tried doing it from /opt/local and still get the same error.

Thanks,

Tom - a MacPorts NuB