Can't install octave packages with octave-devel installed

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jul 24 15:45:22 PDT 2011

On Jul 24, 2011, at 13:07, mark brethen wrote:

> The port files use a PortGroup to set up the standard environment for building the particular octave module. I took a peek at the octave 1.0 group, which lists 'depends_lib port:octave'. If I understand this correctly, it tried to install octave first, but since I have octave-devel installed, I get the 'conflicts' message.

Yes. As I said, since both octave and octave-devel exist, anywhere there is a dependency on octave, it should be written to allow either port to satisfy it (if either version will in fact work). I have corrected this problem now in the octave and swig portgroups and the ports that individually declared such dependencies:

https://trac.macports.org/changeset/81075

> This begs another question: Why not upgrade octave to its current rev. instead of making a -devel port?

That is a separate question. As always when a port needs to be updated, please file a ticket in the issue tracker requesting the port be updated.