Upgrade macports after a Lion upgrade

Panayotis Katsaloulis panayotis at panayotis.com
Sun Jul 24 08:27:18 PDT 2011

Just to inform the fellow users of my experience with MacPorts and Lion upgrade.

After an up[grade to Lion and then an update to MacPorts I had serious problems with many ports. Some libraries had problems, sometimes the compiler was not producing valid executables etc.

The way to solve it was to get the list of my currently installed ports, remove *everything*, and reinstall form scratch.
Up to now I have not problem at all.

It sounds painful, but it seems there is no easy way to perform both upgrades without loss.