gperf and pkgconfig

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jul 24 12:53:11 PDT 2011

On Jul 24, 2011, at 13:13, mark brethen wrote:

> After installing octave and maxima ports, I found the following leaves:
>
> Mark-Brethens-MacBook-Pro:~ marbre$ port echo leaves
> autoconf                       @2.68_2
> automake                       @1.11.1_0
> bison                          @2.5_0
> cmake                          @2.8.4_0
> flex                           @2.5.35_0
> gawk                           @4.0.0_0
> gperf                          @3.0.4_2
> gperf                          @3.0.4_2+universal
> grep                           @2.9_0
> gsed                           @4.2.1_1
> less                           @444_0
> ncursesw                       @5.8_0
> pkgconfig                      @0.26_0
> pkgconfig                      @0.26_0+universal
> texinfo                        @4.13_2
> xorg-bigreqsproto              @1.1.1_0
> xorg-inputproto                @2.0.1_0
> xorg-util-macros               @1.14.0_0
> xorg-xcmiscproto               @1.2.1_0
> xorg-xf86bigfontproto          @1.2.0_0
> xorg-xtrans                    @1.2.6_0
> xz                             @5.0.3_0
>
> Notice that gperf and pkgconfig have a default and "+universal" variant installed. Why? Can I remove one? If so, which one should I keep?

Typically, the reason why you might have a universal and a non-universal version of the same port installed (assuming you did not yourself explicitly request that) is that you are on Snow Leopard or later on a 64-bit machine, and you first installed these ports normally (i.e. 64-bit), and then later you installed another port which can only be built 32-bit. This would cause MacPorts to rebuild all of its dependencies universal (i.e. containing both 32-bit and 64-bit versions).

If you want to reclaim disk space, I'd uninstall the non-universal versions of the ports. But since they're leaves you can uninstall all of them if you really want. MacPorts will reinstall them again later if needed to build other ports.