Installing recoll on mac os x

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Jul 30 17:30:45 PDT 2011

On Jul 30, 2011, at 19:07, james collins wrote:

> I am thinking of reinstalling my operating system. I think I am making this harder than it should be?

Something is definitely harder than it should be here, but I don't know yet what. Reinstalling the operating system is a pretty drastic step, but of course also doesn't erase the hard drive, so if there is a setting that is causing MacPorts to misbehave, there's no guarantee reinstalling the OS would change that.

> If I started fresh all I should have to do is install macports and then run sudo port install recoll?
>
> Like I don't have to download recoll or edit the configuration file?

Correct.

> The reason I am going to reinstall my operating system is because I have installed and uninstalled macports like 5 times.
>
> I wondered if I reinstall macports will it overide previous versions?

Yes, but it will not overwrite your MacPorts configuration files. Which is why I asked if there was any change in them. But if you followed the uninstall instructions before, which included deleting /opt/local completely, then any old config files would have been wiped out as well.

> And I also wondered why my installer didn't install to /opt/local ?

The MacPorts disk image installer does install MacPorts into /opt/local; there is no option for it to do anything else.