gcc_select @0.1_5

Jason Swails jason.swails at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 15:25:20 PDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 1:23 PM, André Kaplan <ak.ml at laposte.net> wrote:

> It seems as though gcc_select 0.1_5 isn't staging properly...
>
> I had to revert to gcc_select @0.1_4 in order to get it to work again.
>
> Any thoughts?
>

> Hi Jason,
>
> All *_select ports (gcc_select, python_select, ...) are now handled by the
> port action. You can safely upgrade!
>
> The new command is
> $ port select gcc
>
> For the generic syntax
> $ port help select
>
> Unfortunately it's not documented in the manual page.

Ah.  And here I've just been downgrading everybody in my lab to 0.1_4.  I'll
check out the new functionality and update our on-site documentation.

Was there any obvious way to know this (i.e. changelogs or something of the
like?  I'd not have thought to look at the port manpage for this update
(even though you say it was non-existent).

Perhaps gcc_select could have been relegated to a simple script that just
echoed "use the new syntax" message, and then phased out for the next
version.

Thanks for the info!
Jason
Regards, André