gcc_select @0.1_5

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jun 1 20:24:10 PDT 2011

On Jun 1, 2011, at 17:25, Jason Swails wrote:

>> All *_select ports (gcc_select, python_select, ...) are now handled by the port action. You can safely upgrade!
>>
>> The new command is
>> $ port select gcc
>>
>> For the generic syntax
>> $ port help select
>>
>> Unfortunately it's not documented in the manual page.

But there is "port help select".

And the patch to add this documentation to the manpage is here:

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/29528

> Was there any obvious way to know this (i.e. changelogs or something of the like?

I suppose not really. "port contents gcc_select" would confirm for you that there is no longer a command called "gcc_select", but that wouldn't help you discover its replacement.

> Perhaps gcc_select could have been relegated to a simple script that just echoed "use the new syntax" message, and then phased out for the next version.

That's a great idea. We should do that, for all the select ports. We already had 2 tickets about the same problem / misunderstanding for python_select, so you're not alone in being confused.