Rebuilding libiconv as fat i386 & x86_64?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jun 20 09:56:25 PDT 2011

On Jun 20, 2011, at 00:43, James F. Marshall wrote:

> I used MacPorts to install libiconv today.  The installed version is x86_64 only.  I need a fat i386 and x86_64 version of libiconv.a for static linking to a 32-bit carbon app.  Is it possible to rebuild libiconv to have a dual architecture, i386 and x86_64?  How exactly would I do that?

sudo port upgrade --enforce-variants libiconv +universal

or just

sudo port install libiconv +universal

> Come to think of it, can I have MacPorts install everything as fat i386 and x86_64?  How exactly would I do that?

Edit /opt/local/etc/macports/variants.conf and add +universal to it. All future ports (that have them) will build with the universal variant.

For any existing ports, rebuild them as above.

> If I can have MacPorts rebuild a fat i386 and x86_64 version of libiconv.a, can I simply reinstall over the existing installation?  Otherwise, it seems I would need to uninstall a lot of other stuff before I could uninstall libiconv.

You can just install the port again, selecting the different variant(s). MacPorts will deactivate the old port (e.g. the one without the universal variant) and activate the new one (e.g. with the universal variant).