suggestion: libjpeg-turbo

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jun 23 12:44:27 PDT 2011

On Jun 23, 2011, at 11:50, Roger Pack wrote:

> Hello.  I have no experience in this domain, but thought I'd throw out
> the idea of using libjpeg-turbo as the default "libjpeg" dependency,
> for some added speed where used.

I had never heard of libjpeg-turbo and we do not have a port for it. So the first step would be to make a port for it. (File a port request ticket in the issue tracker, on create a port and file a port submission ticket.)

This appears to be the project's homepage:

http://libjpeg-turbo.virtualgl.org/

The next question is whether it is a drop-in replacement for libjpeg, which would be a necessity for implementing the next part of your request. But I'm not certain we want to replace jpeg (a proven, stable library) with this new thing I've never heard of.