Cannot setup macports, error on Xcode binaries

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jun 24 01:31:11 PDT 2011

On Jun 24, 2011, at 02:15, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> On Jun 23, 2011, at 23:46, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Jun 24, 2011, at 01:43, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
>>
>>> The default install doesn't install the System Tools and UNIX Development packages.  If you want bits installed in /usr in addition to /Developer, you need to install those packages.
>>
>> Ok, then that's a change from previous versions of Xcode, and we need to update our install instructions in the guide and on the web site. Can you or someone who has seen this installer update the documentation, or at least explain how to install those extra packages? The one user I emailed with said there were no options of any kind when installing Xcode 4 from the App Store.
>
> I've never installed XCode from the App Store, but I'm fairly certain it should be similar.  There should be an option to install UNIX Development and System Tools.
>
> I don't think this is a change from previous versions.  The wiki already told users to select the UNIX Development package (I added the System Tools recommendation and removed the X11SDK reference just now), and those packages have been in XCode as long as I've been using it.

I know that those have always been options, when installing Xcode through the Installer. I wasn't aware that the App Store used the Installer. In fact, wasn't won't-install-system-items supposed to be one of the guarantees of the App Store, and listed as one of the reasons why MacPorts wouldn't be allowed on the App Store?

http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2010-October/022506.html

Then again, Lion itself being distributed via the App Store kinda throws all that out the window.