Please edit Macport's KDE instructions

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 16:14:32 PDT 2011

On Monday 27 June 2011 1:03:50 am Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:
> On Jun 25, 2011, at 11:18 PM, Ian Wadham wrote:
> > Eventually I found and followed some instructions for DBus at:
> > http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/Mac_OS_X/MacPorts#Installin
> >g_the_base_requirements which worked.  These will get DBus to run whenever
> > the Mac is booted.
> >
> > An alternative is given in:
> > http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-mac/2011-June/000752.html
> > which presumably starts DBus as the local user rather than root.
>
> Have a look at the dbus-devel port. The dbus release branch is even
>  numbered and development branch odd numbered. The dbus-devel port is
>  currently tracking the 1.5.x dbus development branch.

Hi Bradley, and thanks for the tip, but as I said I am new to Macbook and
Macports and I have managed to beat DBus into submission (for now).
I do not know what the best instructions should be, but the kde-mac
guys are working on that.

My concern is that, in the course of googling for answers, I found many
people in the last year had been mislead by Macport's KDE instructions
and those instructions seem to be at least 3 years old (from talking to
the kde-mac at kde.org guys).  So please talk to them about what would
be best for the new KDE instructions in Macports to say and please edit
the instructions soon, to avoid further grief for Macports users.

Re dbus-devel, as a long-time KDE developer, albeit for games, I would
be worried about getting too far out of step between versions of KDE,
DBus and anything else for that matter (e.g. Qt).  The dependencies
tend to be tight at times in the KDE/Qt world.

I am surprised (agreeably), for example, that the kdegames 4.5.x port
works as well as it does with ported KDE 4.6.x libraries.  Usually KDE
games and KDE libraries are released in sync with each other.

And sometimes changes in the libraries cause individual games to fail
during the KDE development and release cycle.  We nearly lost an
entire game that way a couple of years ago.  It would not work at all,
the maintainer had moved on, the rest of the team was flummoxed
and the game nearly had to be deleted from the KDE Games module.

All the best, Ian W.