Please edit Macport's KDE instructions

Bradley Giesbrecht pixilla at macports.org
Sun Jun 26 08:03:50 PDT 2011

On Jun 25, 2011, at 11:18 PM, Ian Wadham wrote:

> Eventually I found and followed some instructions for DBus at:
> http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/Mac_OS_X/MacPorts#Installing_the_base_requirements
> which worked.  These will get DBus to run whenever the Mac is booted.
>
> An alternative is given in:
> http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-mac/2011-June/000752.html
> which presumably starts DBus as the local user rather than root.

Hi Ian,

Have a look at the dbus-devel port. The dbus release branch is even numbered and development branch odd numbered. The dbus-devel port is currently tracking the 1.5.x dbus development branch.

With dbus-devel only one LaunchAgent script is required and it does not require sudo to activate. To me it looks like the dbus devs want dbus to run well on the Mac and I think MacPorts should consider using dbus-devel so the MacPorts userbase can better support dbus development efforts.

I think the dbus dependent ports should have their dependencies changed from port: to path: style dependencies so MacPorts users, who choose to, can run dbus-devel.

Example:
    depends_lib    port:dbus
becomes
    depends_lib    path:bin/dbus-daemon:dbus
where both dbus and dbus-devel provide bin/dbus-daemon.

Regards,
Bradley Giesbrecht
Cell: (209) 535-8664
Email: brad at pixilla.com