Uninstalling a port

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Mar 4 07:06:21 PST 2011

On Mar 4, 2011, at 06:29, Barrie Stott wrote:

> I have dokuwiki installed and want to uninstall it together with all the other ports on which it depends that are not being used elsewhere.
>
> Will the single command 'sudo port uninstall --follow-dependents dokuwiki' do it? I looked in the port manpage and it seemed to be a bit ambiguous when it said: 'To recursively uninstall all dependents of this port, use --follow-dependents'. I don't want to uninstall anything that's used elsewhere and, while I doubt that this will happen, it seems wise to check beforehand.

I don't think so... you want to uninstall the ports on which dokuwiki depends (its dependencies), not the ports that depend on dokuwiki (its dependents).

Try just uninstalling dokuwiki itself, then uninstalling the leaves (the ports on which nothing depends -- that have no dependents). You may want to first look at the list of ports MacPorts considers leaves, to make sure there isn't anything in there that you want to keep.

sudo port uninstall dokuwiki
port installed leaves
sudo port uninstall leaves

> Incidentally, is there any other documentation on macports besides the guide and the port manpage?

There is also the wiki:

http://trac.macports.org/wiki