Xcode 4

Bradley Giesbrecht pixilla at macports.org
Fri Mar 11 15:59:07 PST 2011

On Mar 11, 2011, at 3:10 PM, Scott Webster wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 1:48 AM, Keith J. Schultz <keithjschultz at web.de
> > wrote:
>> PPC is DEAD! If you need to support PPC keep Xcode 3 around. Xcode
>> 3 and
>> Xcode 4 can be installed along side each other!
>> regards
>> Keith
>>

> I still have a PPC (G4) mac that works fine.  Probably I'm not the
> only one who still owns a functional PPC mac?  Anyway, that doesn't
> necessarily mean that Macports should support PPC forever... but I'm
> interested in knowing if Macports users are more or less likely than
> "average" to be using older machines?  Can we gather any information
> on this from Macports server logs or anything?

I would guess a large percentage of MacPorts users have 4, 5, 10 or
more machines at any given time so likely some 5+ year old machines,
likely G4's and G5's.

A dimension of ROI is almost always time.

I have a PPC G5 under management that is processing hundreds of online
manufacturing orders per week and I expect it to remain in service for
a couple more years.

--
Brad