Xcode 4

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Mar 11 16:03:21 PST 2011

On Mar 11, 2011, at 17:59, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:

> I would guess a large percentage of MacPorts users have 4, 5, 10 or more machines at any given time so likely some 5+ year old machines, likely G4's and G5's.

Hmm. I would guess a large percentage of MacPorts users have just a single Mac. But I guess I have no way of really knowing for sure.

> A dimension of ROI is almost always time.
>
> I have a PPC G5 under management that is processing hundreds of online manufacturing orders per week and I expect it to remain in service for a couple more years.

Yeah, with servers it's always trickier. "Never touch a running system" and such. If it works, why change it? Of course, in that case, you don't need to update MacPorts or the ports on it either; they're already working so just keep using them.