index.php files ignored

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Mar 22 13:16:30 PDT 2011

On Mar 22, 2011, at 15:12, Tony Miller wrote:

> I haven't messed with the my.cnf file. I've found:
>
> /private/etc/my.cnf, which is the file OS X uses by default.

"OS X" does not use my.cnf. MySQL does.

MacPorts MySQL will use that file, if it's there.

> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/databases/mysql4/files/my.cnf

Not relevant.

> When I try to connect to mysql5 -u root -p I get:
>
> ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
>
> Is that the correct socket or does MacPorts use an alternate socket and or my.cnf file?

There are many locations where MySQL will look for my.cnf; consult the MySQL documentation.

The default socket location for MacPorts MySQL is /opt/local/var/run/mysql5/mysqld.sock

Perhaps you have specified the alternate socket location in your my.cnf, and should remove that specification so that the default location above is used again.