emacs does not work on MacOSX server

Dan Ports dports at macports.org
Mon Mar 28 16:47:22 PDT 2011

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 12:19:12AM -0500, Rodolfo Aramayo wrote:
> After applying the latest Apple server updates and port selfupdate and
> updates, which included emacs, I cannot use emacs anymore
>
> After invoking emacs I get the following:
>
> "emacs: Cannot open termcap database file"

FWIW, I finally got a chance to dust off my OS X server machine, and I
couldn't reproduce this problem. It works fine for me on OS X Server
10.6.7 with emacs 23.3_1.

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 11:44:28PM -0500, Rodolfo Aramayo wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 20:29, William H. Magill
> <magill at mcgillsociety.org>wrote:
>
> > (setq system-uses-terminfo y)
> >
> > in your .emacs file will switch to using terminfo, which is what OSX ships
> > with -- i.e. no termcap file, just terminfo files.
> >

> Makes sense.
> I tried creating a .emacs file inside the ".emacs.d/" directory where I
> placed  "setq system-uses-terminfo y" but this did not work
> Was this the right thing to do?

I don't know why this workaround is necessary (as it doesn't seem to be
for me), but it should go in .emacs in your home directory, not in
.emacs.d. And the line should probably be:
  (setq system-uses-terminfo 't)

Dan

--
Dan R. K. Ports              MIT CSAIL                http://drkp.net/