Two simple questions

Rodolfo Aramayo raramayo at gmail.com
Sun May 8 10:59:11 PDT 2011

People,

Say I set up a complex installation of MacPorts (i.e., tonos of different
ports) using standard procedures (i.e., everything installed in the /opt/...
directory) in an Intel iMac

My questions are:

1. Can I now just copy that directory to another iMac having the same
hardware architecture (i.e., from a i386 to another i386 or x86_64 to
another x86_64)???
2. Can I do the same from a say i386 to x86_64??

I am asking this because I thought this to be possible (e.g., from i386 to
i386) and things work, BUT I am observing an unusual number of failed port
updates and crashes on those machines....and so I suspect something else is
happening here...???

Thanks