Compiling Subversion.

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Mon May 9 06:18:34 PDT 2011

On May 7, 2011, at 11:10 PM, Gavin Baumanis wrote:
> My ultimate goal is to be able to compile Subversion from source code.

Why?

> And after asking for some help on the SVN mailing lists, Ryan Schmidt suggested that I come across here and have a look at the portfile.
> He explained to me that the portfile was "the recipe" for compiling SVN successfully on a Mac.

yep - and one reason (the main reason, I would say) for MacPorts to even exist is to save that recipe and let people use it (so it only has to be figured out once).

> So it seemed sensible enough that I should be able to take the compile "options" from the portfile and compile SVN... but alas there is still something I am missing, because it doesn't work for me.

you can run port with '-dv' and see everything that it does to build/install subversion.

> So I performed the following;
> sudo sh ./authogen.sh

you probably don't want to (or need to) regenerate the autoconf/automake stuff (unless you are patching or changing one of the input files, which it doesn't look like you're doing).

> sudo ./configure --with-berkeley-db=:/opt/local/include/db46:/opt/local/lib/db46:db-4.6 --with-neon=/opt/local --with-apr=/opt/local/bin/apr-1-config --with-apr-util=/opt/local/bin/apu-1-config --without-apxs --mandir=\\\/opt/local/share/man --disable-neon-version-check --with-serf=/opt/local --with-sasl=/opt/local --with-sqlite=/opt/local
> sudo make
> make check
>
> During make I get errors such as;
> subversion/libsvn_diff/diff_file.c: In function ‘output_unified_flush_hunk’:
> subversion/libsvn_diff/diff_file.c:1546: warning: format ‘%ld’ expects type ‘long int’, but argument 5 has type ‘long long int’
> subversion/libsvn_diff/diff_file.c:1553: warning: format ‘%ld’ expects type ‘long int’, but argument 5 has type ‘long long int’
> subversion/libsvn_diff/diff_file.c:1559: warning: format ‘%ld’ expects type ‘long int’, but argument 5 has type ‘long long int’
> subversion/libsvn_diff/diff_file.c:1565: warning: format ‘%ld’ expects type ‘long int’, but argument 5 has type ‘long long int’

that's a warning, not an error.

> and others like;
> /usr/bin/ranlib: file: .libs/libsvn_subr-1.a(config_win.o) has no symbols
>
> (I have no idea if they are "real" or can simply be ignored.
>
> using; echo $?   provides a return of 0 (zero)
>

> But when I run make check I get 6 failures and it finally exits with;
> Running tests in authz_tests.py [37/87]make: *** [check] Error 1

I believe that the tests do output some log information that you may be able to use to find the problem. Otherwise, you may need to just debug the test (if you really want to know what's going on).

--
Daniel J. Luke