coreutils ls color (was: another question...)

Mon May 9 03:16:31 PDT 2011

Hello.

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 12:00, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> On May 8, 2011, at 16:39, Rodolfo Aramayo wrote:
>
> > I upgraded coreutils to v8.12
> >
> > and added:
> >
> > export PATH=/opt/local/libexec/gnubin:$PATH
> >
> > as suggested during the installation
> >
> > everything works beautifully well, except that before when issuing the command:
> >
> > ls -alFG <==I could see color in my terminal (i.e., links in pink, directories in blue)
> >
> > but now I only see black and white
> >
> > How can I re-activate color??
> >
> > I must be bypassing some config file??
>
> You're sure you don't need to specify "--color" as well? That seems to work for me.

I second this question - to get color, you'd normally need "--color".
But maybe the original poster had an alias ls="ls --color" (or something
like this)?

And, actually, I normally setup an "ls" alias, kind of like this:

$ LC_MESSAGES=C type ls
ls is aliased to `/bin/ls --color=auto'

Cheers,

Alexander