coreutils ls color (was: another question...)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon May 9 05:22:42 PDT 2011

Please keep this discussion on the mailing list by using Reply All instead of Reply.

On May 9, 2011, at 07:11, Rodolfo Aramayo wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>> You're sure you don't need to specify "--color" as well? That seems to work for me.
>
> Before, after installing coreutils, I did not specify the " export PATH=/opt/local/libexec/gnubin:$PATH" path. I had created a series of aliases to force Bash to use some of the the gnu stuff. Color was there, because color comes standard with the Apple installation.
>
> But it looks to me that by specifying this gnubin path not only we lost color by default but also we lost a column specifying "Group" as well
>
> It would be nice if you could share the way you activate color in your .profile file

I do not use coreutils' gls nor do I use colored listings (except in response to your email, to verify that "--color" worked) so I don't know how to help you, beyond suggesting that you read the gls manpage for ideas.