fetching sources from sourceforge takes very long time

Alexander Ulitin mail at liworks.ru
Tue May 10 14:14:49 PDT 2011

Hello! Need your help.
I need to install some ports(ex.tomcat6), that are dependent on a
number of other ports (ex. junit,
mx4j). Ping results in port -d for citylan.dl.sourceforge.net is the
smallest - 20ms, so macports downloads sourcefile from that server and
fetching takes a lot of time, speed is near 0, sometimes it is raised
to 1000, but then it becomes 0 and I cant install apps from ports.
1.5MB archive is downloading for hours and if I try to download file
using the browser from sourceforge it takes less than a second (stable
15mbit/s channel). And sometimes it works just fine (20 minutes of
waiting 0% and then 20 ports are installed successfully within a
minute and again waiting 0%(or other value ex. 58%) with sourceforge).

What's the reason of such behaviour of macports and sourceforge? How
can I force it to work? I've tried to locally bind citylan.dl host to
nonexistent address, but the problem repeats with other sourceforge
server.

Thanks in advance.