fetching sources from sourceforge takes very long time

Wed May 11 00:05:59 PDT 2011

Alexander,

do you also experience slow downloads, when you download
from Source Forge using a normal browser (Chrome, Firefox or
whatnot)? Eg. this 50MB file:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tuxpaint/files/tuxpaint/0.9.21/tuxpaint_0.9.21-1maemo8_i386.deb/download
(It's just a random largish file that I came accross.)

Regards,
Alexander

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 23:14, Alexander Ulitin <mail at liworks.ru> wrote:

> Hello! Need your help.
> I need to install some ports(ex.tomcat6), that are dependent on a
> number of other ports (ex. junit,
> mx4j). Ping results in port -d for citylan.dl.sourceforge.net is the
> smallest - 20ms, so macports downloads sourcefile from that server and
> fetching takes a lot of time, speed is near 0, sometimes it is raised
> to 1000, but then it becomes 0 and I cant install apps from ports.
> 1.5MB archive is downloading for hours and if I try to download file
> using the browser from sourceforge it takes less than a second (stable
> 15mbit/s channel). And sometimes it works just fine (20 minutes of
> waiting 0% and then 20 ports are installed successfully within a
> minute and again waiting 0%(or other value ex. 58%) with sourceforge).
>
> What's the reason of such behaviour of macports and sourceforge? How
> can I force it to work? I've tried to locally bind citylan.dl host to
> nonexistent address, but the problem repeats with other sourceforge
> server.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Alexander
 --