Enquiry about a port of GCC 4.6.0

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri May 13 03:31:20 PDT 2011

On May 13, 2011, at 05:03, doug livesey wrote:

> Hi -- I've been trying to compile the latest GCC (4.6.0) on my Snow Leopard machine, without much success.
> So I was wondering if there was a working port of this expected any time soon?
> If not, could whoever got the beta to work (assuming it hasn't the same problems my own attempts to install 4.6 suffered) possibly let me know how they got it to compile correctly?
> Does the beta work correctly? (I'll check later, but thought I'd ask in case there are any known issues.)
> There seem to be numerous subtleties in the Mac OS that my attempts have broken against -- the latest being how GCC wants to handle empty strings vs. how OSX wants to: The former wants to use a static empty string to optimise memory usage, but OSX doesn't. This leads to code using string buffers being borked.
> In the meantime, I'm developing my C++11 code in a VM running Ubuntu, but would really like to be developing on my Mac as a first-class citizen.

The gcc46 port, as all other ports, ought to work, but sometimes ports are broken. If this port is broken, as with any other broken port, please file a ticket in the issue tracker with more details (e.g. the complete main.log file and information about your computer, OS and Xcode), if one does not already exist.

I don't know why Marcus hasn't updated gcc46 to version 4.6.0 proper as was already requested:

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/29184

However, the snapshot version the port is at -- 4.6-20110325 -- was released the same day as 4.6.0, so it should be nearly equivalent, or even identical, to 4.6.0.

http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.6/