Enquiry about a port of GCC 4.6.0

doug livesey biot023 at gmail.com
Fri May 13 03:03:39 PDT 2011

Hi -- I've been trying to compile the latest GCC (4.6.0) on my Snow Leopard
machine, without much success.
So I was wondering if there was a working port of this expected any time
soon?
If not, could whoever got the beta to work (assuming it hasn't the same
problems my own attempts to install 4.6 suffered) possibly let me know how
they got it to compile correctly?
Does the beta work correctly? (I'll check later, but thought I'd ask in case
there are any known issues.)
There seem to be numerous subtleties in the Mac OS that my attempts have
broken against -- the latest being how GCC wants to handle empty strings vs.
how OSX wants to: The former wants to use a static empty string to optimise
memory usage, but OSX doesn't. This leads to code using string buffers being
borked.
In the meantime, I'm developing my C++11 code in a VM running Ubuntu, but
would really like to be developing on my Mac as a first-class citizen.
Thanks for any & all advice, information, & help.
   Doug.