'port upgrade outdated' stops at gcc44

Richard DeLaurell richard.delaurell at gmail.com
Sat May 28 11:32:27 PDT 2011

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 12:42:55PM -0500, Peng Yu wrote:
> I'm not sure how patient I should be. It took me a whole night w/o
> finishing it. I don't think just downloading the files should take
> that long. When I check cpu using, I don't see an processes for
> updating take any cpu. This looks weird to me.

Try using the -v switch, so:

sudo port install -v gcc44

That will give you verbose output. If you're using the Mac OS X
terminal, then you'll see the title of the session window (in which
you started the install) flip through "sed", "cc1", "sh", and so
forth as it goes through the process.

It will also give you a running total on the downloads as they happen.

That's sometimes more informative then what "top" returns; note
that in "top" you won't see "port" or "install" listed as processes
during install.

Rather you'll see "gnumake" and "sed", and the others.

I'm sorry I am not more help to you.

I'll be watching the Champions' League final now, so maybe someone
who actually knows something will sign on and be more helpful.

Richard