'port upgrade outdated' stops at gcc44

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun May 29 16:52:54 PDT 2011

On May 28, 2011, at 21:28, Peng Yu wrote:

>> The GNU FTP server seems to have problems for some users (including me) and randomly disconnects in a way that MacPorts doesn't detect that this has happened (and MacPorts continues waiting forever for data that will never arrive). You could cancel and try again and MacPorts might pick a different mirror, but if it picks the GNU FTP server again, it will probably fail again. Try downloading the files manually from a MacPorts mirror like http://distfiles.macports.org/gcc44/ and putting them where MacPorts expects them (in this case, /opt/local/var/macports/distfiles/gcc44).
>
> Is there a way to specify which website to download by port?

Unfortunately there isn't... MacPorts will ping all mirrors and try them in ascending order of ping time. The goal is to download from servers closest to you, which should be fastest. But if you happen to be closest to a server that doesn't work properly, like the GNU FTP server, then that can cause problems. We should probably contact the administrators of the GNU FTP server and get them to fix the problem, and if they cannot, we should remove the server from our lists. (It's in the file _resources/port1.0/fetch/mirror_sites.tcl if you want to remove it manually, but it will come back next time you sync, if you're using the default rsync sync method.)