Macports 2.0.3/Lion 10.7.2 Perl

Arno Hautala arno at alum.wpi.edu
Wed Nov 2 08:01:53 PDT 2011

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 10:39, Jason Lixfeld <jason-macports at lixfeld.ca> wrote:

> 1.  Is it normal for Macports to not use system Perl in this manner, or at least add to @INC to point to the module directories installed via ports?

Yes, MacPorts, for the most part, selects to install its own software
rather than relying on the system. The primary reason for this is
maintaining compatibility in the event that the system changes the
installed version of a tool that breaks compatibility with an old
version.

> 2.  Is it normal for Macports to not create a symlink to perl in /opt/local/bin

You can set this using "port select".
"port select --list perl"
"port select --show perl"
"port select --set perl <version>"

> 3.  For some reason when I add #!/opt/local/bin/perl5.12 to the top of a perl script (that had otherwise been working for years), I get an error thrown:
>
> BlackBox:Scripts jlixfeld$ ./csv-parser.pl
> -bash: ./csv-parser.pl: /opt/local/bin/perl5.12^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
>
> BlackBox:Scripts jlixfeld$ /opt/local/bin/perl5.12 csv-parser.pl

That "^M" is the issue. Try running "dos2unix" (also available in
MacPorts) on the file and run it again. The shell is interpreting the
line ending as part of the path.

arno  s  hautala    /-|   arno at alum.wpi.edu

pgp b2c9d448