Macports 2.0.3/Lion 10.7.2 Perl

Mr. Puneet Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 09:11:58 PDT 2011

On Nov 2, 2011, at 10:01 AM, Arno Hautala wrote:

> You can set this using "port select".
> "port select --list perl"
> "port select --show perl"
> "port select --set perl <version>"

I had no idea... thanks for the above info. Now then, what is going on here?

$port select --list perl
Warning: Unable to get active selected version: The specified group 'perl' does not exist.
Error: The 'list' command failed: The specified group 'perl' does not exist.

$port installed perl
None of the specified ports are installed.

$which perl
/opt/local/bin/perl

$port installed perl5.14
  perl5.14 @5.14.1_0
  perl5.14 @5.14.1_1 (active)

$port installed perl*
  perl5 @5.12.3_1+perl5_12 (active)
  perl5.12 @5.12.3_1
  perl5.12 @5.12.3_2 (active)
  perl5.14 @5.14.1_0
  perl5.14 @5.14.1_1 (active)

hmmmm... why no "'perl' group"?

what does it mean for a port to be "active"? The way I understand the term, seems like I have three different perls active concurrently.

Surely, I am doing something wrong. But what?

--
Puneet Kishor