Binary builds???

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Nov 19 00:38:33 PST 2011

On Nov 19, 2011, at 02:09, Marko Käning wrote:

> On Nov 19, 2011, at 8:50 AM, Roger Pack wrote:
>> Hey thanks for all those binary builds--they probably saved me a heap
>> of time today.  The speed just doesn't compare it's so much faster
>> now. Thanks!
>
> Ooops, I obviously missed this somehow...

We haven't announced it yet, but you might have noticed talk about it on the -dev list.

> Looks like - since buildbot made his way through all port files - it is possible to install binary packages, is that true?
>
> If so, how could that be enable in a local MacPorts installation?

In fact there's no way to globally turn it off. MacPorts will use binaries if they're available, unless you use the "-s" switch for a particular install.

> (From what I see all my installations still configure and build all their ports themselves)

Binaries are available for some ports' default variants for Snow Leopard for x86_64. If you have i386, or want universal, or have Leopard or Tiger, or want a non-default variant, you'll still build from source.