Can I use Macports to update Enthought python?

David Nicholls david at mso.anu.edu.au
Fri Nov 25 17:03:46 PST 2011

To run the Spyder IDE with the current Enthought python distribution, I need PySide-1.0.8-1 but the Enthought distro (the free academic version) comes with PySide-1.0.5-1.

To access the Enthought repositories (which include PySide-1.0.8-1), you need a $200 subscription.

It looks like PySide-1.0.8-1 is available through Macports (and not yet through python.org).  However, Macports usually installs everything in the /opt directory, doesn't it?

Is it possible to use Macports to install PySide-1.0.8-1 using Macports in the location where Enthought will find it?

The current version is located at /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/7.1/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PySide

Since I'm not at all sure what I'm doing this is a bit confusing :-(

DN