Solved! Re: Lots and lots of system time

Harald Hanche-Olsen hanche at math.ntnu.no
Sat Nov 26 05:42:27 PST 2011

I found out what has been biting me. I had been running a dtrace
script in the background to record all tcp connections in a file.
After I removed that, updating ports is so much snappier I can't
believe it.

According to the hype, dtrace is not supposed to affect system
performance, or at least not by much. While that may be so on
Solaris, it appears to be very far from the truth on MacOS. Bummer.

- Harald

PS. For the curious: I used these two providers in my dtrace script:

syscall::connect*:entry
syscall::connect*:return