Request: make the ML's default return candidate be the ML

Harald Hanche-Olsen hanche at math.ntnu.no
Sat Nov 26 08:53:33 PST 2011

[Phillip Koebbe <phillip.koebbe at gmail.com> (2011-11-26 16:37:22 UTC)]

> Or to use the mailing list's address as the from? I believe that's what Google Groups does: You get the message from the same address you send one to. In my experience, that seems to work out well. And there is the added benefit that we are not broadcasting our email addresses around. Some might find that appealing.

I would find it extremely annoying myself. After being on a mailing list for a while, you begin to learn the names of those most likely to write useful posts. Being able to pick them out at a glance without going into each message is quite useful.

Google Groups doesn't do this universally, anyhow. There is a setting for reply-to munging, and one for allowing members to post on behalf of the group.

- Harald