Macports needs libcurl 7.x.x. How could i install it?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Oct 3 14:01:32 PDT 2011

On Oct 3, 2011, at 13:39, Arnaldo Pirrone wrote:

> I tried to install macports on mac os x 10.6.8. The setup went fine.

How did you install it?

> When i tried to update via the command "sudo port -v selfupdate",
> it crashes saying that is needed libcurl 7.x.x, but it found version 6.x.x.

We probably need more information, including an actual copy/paste of the error message. But it sounds like your "port" command is linked with the MacPorts version of libcurl (which is version 7), and that its architecture does not match the architecture of your "port" command, and therefore it looked for another copy of libcurl and found the one in /usr/lib provided by OSX, but it is version 6 so it won't work.

All of this should not have happened: the "port" command should not be linked with MacPorts libcurl (it should be linked with OSX's libcurl); and even if it were there should be no architecture mismatch. Is it possible there is an old MacPorts installation on this system -- one originally installed and used before the existence of Snow Leopard? It sounds like there might be. In which case you should follow the migration instructions:

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration

Although if your "port" command isn't working (and from the above it looks like it isn't), then you may just need to uninstall the old MacPorts:

http://guide.macports.org/chunked/installing.macports.uninstalling.html

Then you can install MacPorts again and there shouldn't be any old libraries around to cause problems.