How to start an app?

Jason Swails jason.swails at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 11:20:49 PDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 12:26 PM, John <konaexpress at mail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the help, Ok so I had to put in "activate" to get Geany to work
> but I got a "RANDR" error but it still started.

I get those all the time (Linux and Mac OS X alike), and it's never caused
me to lose sleep :).

> It said that Koffice is not installed? Wow, the old MacBook crunched on
> that install for a while last night, I will try it again.

Look for an error.  It may have had a problem (in which case you can email
this list for possible help if you can't find anything in the bug tracker).

> On a side note, do I have to always put in sudo and port to do anything
> with MacPorts? Seems like it though this is not stated on the website.

It depends.  It's a permission issue.  I adjusted the permissions on my
MacPorts directories, and tinkered with the groups of my user so I don't
have to use sudo.  (I'm using OS X 10.6, I've heard stuff on the list about
creating a dedicated MacPorts user to handle this stuff).  If you don't
bother with any of those (or if you don't know what I'm talking about), then
you'll need to use sudo for any command that modifies files in your MacPorts
directories.  That is, you'll need to use sudo for port activate, install,
uninstall, deactivate, select, etc.  You don't have to for querying tasks
like port list, contents, provides, etc.

Hope this helps,
Jason

--
Jason M. Swails