[solved]Re: gnome-terminal fails to load

Tim Johnson tim at akwebsoft.com
Thu Oct 6 14:48:55 PDT 2011

* Tim Johnson <tim at akwebsoft.com> [111006 09:57]:
> * Scott Webster <sewebster at gmail.com> [111006 07:56]:

> > >  No. `ps' shows nothing. How do I load? How do I confirm that it is
> > >  then loaded on reboot?
> > >

> > The commands, which can also be seen with "port notes dbus" are:
> >
> > sudo launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.freedesktop.dbus-system.plist
> > launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchAgents/org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist
>  OK. Done. And thanks for the clue about `port notes'
>  Unfortunately, I still have problems. When I start gnome-terminal,
>  I get the following
> Last login: Thu Oct  6 09:50:24 on ttys003
> linus:~ tim$ /opt/local/bin/gnome-terminal ; exit;
> **
> ERROR:terminal-app.c:1451:terminal_app_init: assertion failed: (app->system_font_desc != NULL)
> Abort trap: 6
  I did some googling using segments from the error string above.
  Found this: https://trac.macports.org/ticket/27235
  (undeclared dependency)
  ran
  sudo port install libgnome
  and :)
  sudo port notes libgnome
  - no notes, but using the 'notes' option is a good idea -
  and I now have gnome-terminal.

  This is a very handsome and usable terminal emulator.  It has many
  fonts to choose from and multiple tabs which gets `termophiles'
  like me all goose-pimply. In fact gnome-terminal on mac is
  better-looking than gnome-terminal on ubuntu, in my opinion.

  mc is now mouse-enabled.

  FYI: for those who follow, the installation process in toto was
  lengthy. For me, with a 5M download speed, it took over 45 minutes
  total, but worth it.

  Good job folks.

--
Tim