Universal and upgrades

Adam Dershowitz dersh at alum.mit.edu
Wed Oct 12 11:39:29 PDT 2011

I was trying to upgrade wine-devel.  It seems that it now requires universal builds.  That triggered a number of other ports to rebuild, since I had them as 32 bit only.  No problem with that.  The problem was that a number of these dependencies gave errors on rebuilding.  By looking at the logs I figured out that the problem was that some of them were only built 32 bit, and need to be manually updated to universal.

So, this message has several points.
1)  Just a question about why these other libraries didn't get triggered to rebuild, instead they just caused a build error?

2)  I also wanted to let people know about this problem, and specifically, for me, what I had to do in order to get it to build was:

sudo port install jasper +universal
sudo port install libidl +universal
sudo port install libogg +universal
sudo port install libvorbis +universal
sudo port install libtheora +universal

Then, the upgrade went fine (at least wine seems to be building fine now....big one...takes a while).

--Adam