Unsupported compiler error when building MacVim

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Oct 14 10:20:40 PDT 2011

On Oct 13, 2011, at 21:20, Brandon Allbery wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 18:33, Tim Johnson <tim at akwebsoft.com> wrote:
>> * Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> [111013 14:24]:
>> > The ghc mailing list has been fighting this for a bit; it seems Xcode 4.2 no
>> > longer ships a non-llvm gcc.  I suspect things are about to get
>> > "interesting" in OSX developer land.

Things have been getting interesting since the release of Lion. Please see:

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/PortfileRecipes#compiler

>> > I personally am holding off the Xcode upgrade for a while.
>>  Yikes! Are you saying that I should be using Xcode4.1?

That would be one option, if you want to avoid having to deal with this stuff while we sort it out.

> It would probably be easier, but I was given another solution on IRC; you should file a bug against the port.
>
>     <jmr_mp> geekosaur: indeed, this is why we've been telling everyone to check for gcc-4.2's existence and depend on apple-gcc42 if needed
>
> so the port is doing the wrong thing, and you should be able to work around by "sudo port install apple-gcc42".

...and then doing:

sudo port clean MacVim
sudo port install MacVim configure.compiler=apple-gcc-4.2