determining the exact variants that got installed

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Oct 16 20:52:16 PDT 2011

On Oct 16, 2011, at 19:25, Mr. Puneet Kishor wrote:

> punkish at Lucknow /opt/local/bin$./gdal-config --dep-libs
> -L/opt/local/lib -lproj -L/opt/local/lib -lgeos_c -L/opt/local/lib -lexpat -L/opt/local -L/opt/local/lib -lgif -L/opt/local -L/opt/local/lib -ljpeg -L/opt/local/lib -lgeotiff -L/opt/local/lib -ltiff -L/opt/local -L/opt/local/lib -lpng -L/opt/local -L/opt/local/lib -lnetcdf -L/opt/local/lib/postgresql90 -lpq -lz -L/opt/local -L/opt/local/lib -lpthread -ldl -L/opt/local/lib -L/opt/local/lib -lspatialite -L/opt/local/lib -lcurl -L/opt/local/lib -L/opt/local/lib -L/opt/local/lib -lidn -lssl -lcrypto -lssl -lcrypto -lz -lz
>
> No mention of Python above.

One would not expect there to be any mention of python there. That lists the dynamic libraries to which the gdal program is linked -- libraries the gdal program uses. But you're asking about python bindings, which means some python module is going to be built that's linked with gdal, not the other way around.

> Yet,
>
> punkish at Lucknow /opt/local/bin$port installed gdal
> The following ports are currently installed:
>  gdal @1.8.0_1+curl+expat+geos+netcdf+postgresql90+python27+spatialite+sqlite3 (active)
>

> Time to take this to the PostGIS list and ask how to specify/determine if Python bindings are installed.

To see what files the port has installed, use:

port contents gdal

I see several python-related files when I run "port contents gdal | grep python". You probably just need to inform the PostGIS build where these files are. Or perhaps you just need to tell the PostGIS build that it should use /opt/local/bin/python2.7 as python.