boxes not working in Lion?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Oct 19 23:24:04 PDT 2011

On Oct 19, 2011, at 23:14, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:

> We should move as quickly as we can to indicate when a portfile does assuredly work for gcc, or  llvm-gcc.

Not sure what you mean by "indicate"... If a port does not build with a particular compiler, we need to add a block to the portfile to force it to use a different compiler, as described in:

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/PortfileRecipes#compiler

Ports that do not include any such block are assumed to work with any compiler.

> Seems the scale of troubles is :
> * gcc works
> * llvm (2) usually works
> * clang (3) is most likely to break things

That seems entirely logical.

gcc is what we've always had before on Mac OS X, and on most other OSes, so it's what most software is written for.

llvm-gcc is a frontend for llvm that behaves like gcc, so it should be similar.

clang is a totally new frontend for llvm, with some stricter warnings, so it's most likely of the three to be problematic for software that's not expecting it.