install and upgrade scipy encounter disk space problem

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Oct 23 17:26:21 PDT 2011

On Oct 23, 2011, at 17:22, Ke Wu wrote:

> I was trying to install the py27-scipy on my Mac OS 10.7.2 machine. While building, my hard drive free space was slowly taken up, and in the end there left no free space in my hard drive so the computer died and building failed.
>
> I check the log in /opt/local/var/macports/logs, the last few statements are:
>
> :info:build building extension "scipy.ndimage._nd_image" sources
> :info:build building data_files sources
> :info:build build_src: building npy-pkg config files
> :info:build running build_py
> :info:build copying scipy/version.py -> build/lib.macosx-10.7-x86_64-2.7/scipy
> :info:build copying build/src.macosx-10.7-x86_64-2.7/scipy/__config__.py -> build/lib.macosx-10.7-x86_64-2.7/scipy
> :info:build running build_clib
> :info:build customize UnixCCompiler
> :info:build customize UnixCCompiler using build_clib
> :info:build customize Gnu95FCompiler
> :info:build Found executable /opt/local/bin/gfortran-mp-4.4
> :info:build Could not locat
>
> A friend of mine told me that it probably because of the new local backup mechanism in the Lion, which tries to backup every little change on my disk locally. Since the building process will create and clean files a lot, the local backup will take all the changes into account and eat up all my disk.
>
> Then I turned off the time machine and local backup using tmutil. And then tried to upgrade my py26-scipy, it’s been about 2 hours and my 60 GB free space has about 30GB left, so the building is still taking a lot of space.
>
> Any body had any ideas, or are there previous post related to this situation?
>
> I need the scipy to finish my lab session of a class… Any help will be appreciated!

The very largest of our ports might require 1GB of disk space to build; using 30GB of disk space for a port build is completely abnormal. I don't know what it's doing. Perhaps it's related to #31604 [1]. Try the gcc45 variant instead?

sudo port clean py27-scipy
sudo port install py27-scipy +gcc45

[1] https://trac.macports.org/ticket/31604