PHP/ apache on macports with user MySQL

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Oct 26 15:58:48 PDT 2011

On Oct 26, 2011, at 14:58, Phil Dobbin wrote:

> I’ve searched the archives for this question but couldn’t find anything which leads me to think that it’s a really dumb question but here goes...
>
> I’ve got apache2 installed in /opt via macports

You mean /opt/local.

> & myslq v.5 installed in /usr/local compiled from source. I’d now like to install php 5 via macports but can’t clarify the settings required on install & then configuration to use the macports apache & php alongside my self installed mysql which is, of course, in /usr/local.

MacPorts is mostly self-contained. Our goal is to not attempt to use user-installed software in e.g. /usr/local. The relevant FAQ entries are:

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#syslibs

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#ownlibs

I agree they aren't worded to address your question exactly -- they're worded to address the question of why MacPorts doesn't use system libraries, not why it doesn't use user-installed libraries -- but the answer is the same -- consistency, predictability, and reducing our testing and support burden.

Despite our goal that MacPorts ports not use user-installed in /usr/local, some ports will do so anyway, outside of our control. Therefore we cannot support the use of MacPorts with user-installed software in /usr/local. If you want to use MacPorts for your software, then use MacPorts for all your software and remove or move aside /usr/local.

Note this does not usually apply to prefixes beneath /usr/local. For example, the binary distributions of MySQL which install into /usr/local/mysql* are probably fine.

All that said, if you install the php5-mysql port with its default +mysqlnd variant, it won't need any MacPorts MySQL port and it should still be able to connect to any MySQL server (either on this computer or over the network). If connecting to a MySQL server on this same computer, you'll just need to configure php.ini to tell it where your MySQL server's socket file is.