php5-mysql +mysql5 error

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Oct 26 20:24:57 PDT 2011

On Oct 26, 2011, at 19:00, Phil Dobbin wrote:

> On 26/10/11 at 00:32, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Oct 26, 2011, at 18:18, Phil Dobbin wrote:

>>> The version of MySQL I have in /usr/local was compiled before I started using macports.
>>
>> Yes, and any port you install thereafter might conceivably look for and link with this MySQL unexpectedly, which could cause errors.
>
> Interesting. Under normal circumstances when compiling if you want `make` to link to includes and/or libs other than what shipped with the makefile ,you have to explicitly tell it to i.e.
>
> CFLAGS=”-I/usr/local/foo/include/bar”
> LIBS="-L/usr/local/foo/lib/bar -lmyfooclient -lmybarclient.so"

Yes, and if it's /usr/local/foo we're talking about (/usr/local/foo/lib, /usr/local/foo/include), or most any other prefix, then there's no problem. But if it's /usr/local we're talking about (/usr/local/lib, /usr/local/include), then it's a problem because the compiler looks there without you needing to tell it to. We'd love to tell the compiler not to do that, but we don't know how to do so in a way that doesn't have other consequences. It's come up many times before and the best we can offer at this time is don't install software in prefix /usr/local.