user && group settings www folder MacPorts WAMP

Jasper Frumau jasperfrumau at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 23:15:57 PDT 2011

I have a MacPorts WAMP and was wondering what CHOWN settings most people use
for the www folder and all files and folder inside. I decided to do a sudo
chown -R jasper:admin www , but when I wanted to install osdate for a test
drive I get brief permission issues such as:
[27-Oct-2011 09:47:40] PHP Warning:  copy(temp/cache/index.html) [<a
href='function.copy'>function.copy</a>]: failed to open stream: Permission
denied in /opt/local/www/osdate/install.php on line 268

On that line is stated:

if (!file_exists('temp/cache')) {
        mkdir('temp/cache','0777');
        copy('install/index.html','temp/cache/index.html');
    }

after which the installation does somehow succeed despite the white screen
of death.
I have always been rather lazy with local host chown settings, but I would
now like to do it properly once and for all.

When a script generated a file the permissions are _www admin and as my user
jasper is not part of the group it seems Even though id states I am in group
admin
jasper$ id
uid=501(jasper) gid=20(staff)
groups=20(staff),101(com.apple.sharepoint.group.1),401(com.apple.access_screensharing),
402(com.apple.sharepoint.group.2),204(_developer),100(_lpoperator),98(_lpadmin),
81(_appserveradm),80(admin),79(_appserverusr),61(localaccounts),12(everyone),503(ftp)

?! But jasper$ chmod 755 temp/myconfigs (_www admin ) is not allowed:
chmod: Unable to change file mode on temp/myconfigs: Operation not
permitted I cannot adjust without using sudo.

Why is that?

Should all files normally be set at _www admin ? Or are there other/better
recommendations?